Tuesday 6 July 2021

Matariki facts and information

 

Over the last two weeks, my class has been learning about Matariki (Maori New Year). 

We all did a worksheet to find out all about Matariki. I found out that the stars only appear in late May and early June. I also found out quite a few Maori words and what they mean, like hakari (feast) and pataka kai (storage house).




















I found it challenging to find out what the te reo Maori words mean in English because they were not in the worksheet so I had to do more research. 

I enjoyed working with my group to find the information in the worksheet. 

Before I did this activity I knew about the nine stars and that you can celebrate in your own way because there is no such thing as a right or wrong way to celebrate Matariki. 

I feel like I have learned a lot about Matariki and now I know more about the stars and how a group of stars is called a constellation and they always move together in a cluster. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.